There was panic on Thursday morning after armed robbers attacked a bullion van at Idi-Ape area of Ibadan, the Oyo state capital city.
Reports revealed that two policemen were reportedly killed by the armed robbers during the attack.
Why the attack was very saddening:
1. Oyo state police command (Testing Ground) is like 500meter from where the sad incident happened. The Oyo state government house and secretariat is less than 1.5km & 2.5km away from the scene.
2. That the Nigerian Army Officers Mess is just behind Mary Hill Convent school speaks alot about how prepared and daring they are. That’s a slap on the security architecture of Ibadan. If an area within that coordinate can be attacked, what happens to hinterlands?
3. Testing ground Police Station quickly locked up their gate entrance. After the robbers had gone, they came out with their protruding bellies and medieval guns taking the walk of shame towards the crime scene.
4. This isn’t the first time a robbery would be conducted in that same area. There was a much more brutal one that happened about a decade ago where they raided a series of banks at Idi Ape, you would think the security architect would be better now.
5. Testing Ground is not up to 500m to that venue. Also, the traffic around that side shouldn’t have made it easy for those miscreants to getaway. It’s really sad and pathetic.
I hope Ibadan doesn’t go back to the era of daily bank and bullion van robberies, this was just as pathetic as it gets.