Interim Chairman of the Alliance on Surviving COVID-19 and Beyond, (ASCAB) Mr. Femi Falana (SAN), says over 70 corpses of persons killed in Lagos during the #EndSARS protests have yet to be claimed.
The Senior Advocate said this during an interview with The PUNCH on Sunday, December 20, 2020.
On November 19, Lagos State Chief Coroner, Mojisola Dada, in a public announcement, called on families whose loved ones went missing between 19th and 27th October to visit the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH) in Ikeja for identification exercise.
However, according to Falana, only about 20 families had come forward to claim bodies.
The ASCAB chairman added that many people did not know that their relatives had been killed, while some others might have left the “matter to God.”
“About 98 dead bodies were dumped in various mortuaries out of which three were dumped there on October 20. However, less than 20 relatives have shown up at the mortuaries to identify their loved ones and take them for burial.
“Investigations by ASCARB show that people are quietly mourning their dead and some are afraid. Others haven’t confirmed that they lost anybody. So far, less than 20 relatives have come to identify their loved ones. This is over a month after the announcement
“Some didn’t know their loved ones were there. Some have accepted their fate as an act of God,” he said.