On October 24, Pelumi Onifade and his media group, GBOAH TV, went down to Oko-Oba, Agege, Lagos State, to cover a developing news as reports had suggested residents of the community were distraught with claims that Covid-19 palliative were been stored in warehouse close to them and after months of the virus outbreak, no one has received any of the food meant for the citizens.
Onifade, 20 years of age and a student of Tai Solarin University of Education (TASUED) was covering an interview and gathering reports on what the residents had to say regarding the issue when men of the Task Force and Nigerian Police Force were reportedly said to have pulled up in their vans with bottles, cutlass and guns to disperse the growing crowd; they also were said to have live bullets in their guns which they used accordingly firing blanks in the air. Pelumi was said to have been last seen in the interview below:
''we are hungry, we want this soldiers to leave so we can carry our food, this food is for Covid-19''.
— YEMI_FirstSon (@Shoetanopeyemi) November 2, 2020
The disruption caused by the Task Force and men of the NPF caused a lot of commotion as the crowd quickly ran helter-skelter in search for safety and not wanting to get hit by stray bullets. Pelumi Onifade and his colleagues did the same too but Onifade and some four others were reportedly confirmed to have been dragged into the Black Maria, a van used by the Task Force in attesting ‘hoodlums’.
Despite the fact Onifade had the customary media brown jacket (with GBOAH TV inscription) on him and clamouring for him to be freed by colleagues, the men of the Task Force and NPF turned deaf ears and carted away with Pelumi and the four others ‘hoodlums’. Reports suggest that men of the Task Force and Police threatened to shoot the young Onifade with gun pointed at his head and bottles used to warn others to back off. This caused a lot of fear for members of his colleagues and members of family as they quickly went to the nearby police station at Agege to report the incident and demand him be freed but he was denied freedom as the police claimed they did not have him in their custody or prisons.
On 27th of October, the news spread rapidly on social media and ‘Missing Person’ graphics of him were made to spread awareness of his abduction as his family begged for him be to allowed to go.
Fast forward to the evening of same day, Tuesday 27th, head of Task Force called on seeing the viral post and said to meet in Ikeja the next day, Wednesday 28th of October to discuss the issue. Wednesday came and they met with family and some colleagues of Onifade and the outcome was that the officer who lead the attack on the 24th confirmed to have arrested five people at the Ministry of Agriculture Abbatoir, Oko-Oba, but one person was said to have died and his body deposited at the mortuary in Ikorodu.
They scheduled for Thursday 28th of October to confirm if Onifade was listed among those arrested and if not, they will go to the morgue at Ikorodu to see if his corpse was there. Due to public holiday on Thursday, the meeting got postponed to Friday 29th and when they confirmed he was listed among names for arrested suspects but was not in their custody, they arranged to visit the mortuary at Ikorodu where they found the corpse of the young boy.
The news come as a shock to many as Pelumi Onifade was arrested by the Task Force led by Yinka Egbeyemi and Taiwo Akerele at Agege but killed with body deposited to the morgue so far as Ikorodu, probably to cover their tracks and further their denial of the act. This news comes just days after the Lekki massacre and weeks of protests against Police brutality in the country.
The hashtag #JusticeForPelumi has spread across popular social media platform, Twitter, as news have been gathered that the Police have refused to release his body to the family for burial rites and they also demand retribution for Pelumi on the officers responsible for this devious act. They also demand his family be compensated accordingly.